The purpose of an informative essay, which is sometimes called an expository essay, is to inform the reader and present some useful and new information on a specific topic. This information is usually based on facts and not biased by opinion; it should be supported by credible evidence.
Finding an appropriate topic for an informative essay usually requires some basic research. The following steps will help you develop your own topic:
STEP 1: Brainstorm what you already know. Try to think of a topic you know really well and have enough knowledge on so you could share it with your audience and instruct it. It’s much easier to write on the topic from your own experience.
STEP 2: Choose a topic that you are most interested in. In this case you will do everything possible to research the topic in detail and find out as much information as possible.
STEP 3: Ask your friends and family members. They might have a great idea for an essay that you haven’t even thought about.
STEP 4: Look for ideas around you. Some great ideas can be found in:
- News magazines: Newsweek, Time, The Week, National Journal, etc.
- Encyclopedias: Wikipedia, Britannica.com, Columbia Encyclopedia, etc.
- HowTo Websites: eHow, About.com, etc.
STEP 5: Ask your teacher what you should write about. Your teacher might give you a topic to write on or point you toward some good resources.
The following list includes the most popular informative essay topics that students preferred to write on.
- The Industrial Revolution in Europe
- Causes and Effects of World War I
- All You Need to Know About E-commerce
- Best Investments For Young People
- How to Be Successful in the Stock Market
- Benefits of Human Cloning
- Internet Banking Security
- Benefits of Stem Cell Research
- Importance of Computer Education
- Illegal Immigration and Its Impact on the Economy
- Online Educational Computer Games
- Diabetes: Causes and Treatments
- The Effects of Steroids
- Air Pollution: Causes and Effects
- Current Environmental Issues
- Global Warming: Causes and Effects
- Fundamental Rights of an Individual
- Alternatives to Gasoline
- How to Select an IPod or MP3 Player
- How Does Texting Affect Your Driving
Share a topic of your informative essay that you have recently written on. If you are just preparing to write, stuck with ideas, and need some help with relevant examples, we will be happy to assist.