The ancient city of Pompeii is best known for being covered by an erupting volcano and being almost forgotten. From the time the city was rediscovered in the 1700s scientists and archeologists have managed to piece together evidence to show not just how people died but how they lived. We now know that before the eruption of Mt Vesuvius on August 24 79 AD Pompeii was a resort town. From the remains of Pompeii scholars have deducted
showed first 75 words of 1557 total
showed last 75 words of 1557 total
There may be other aspects of these women’s lives that we know nothing about which might change our views on the lifestyle and role of women in Pompeii.
· Desceudres, Jean-Paul Pompeii Revisited (1994)
· Bradley, Pam Ancient History unit Pompeii and Herculaneum (1994) Open Training and Education network.
· Henessy, Dianne Studies in Ancient Rome (1995)
· Etienne, Robert Pompeii the day City Died Thames and Hudson Publishing
· Pomeroy, Sarah B. Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves. (1975) Random House