There are many well-known lyricists and composers, but only a few leave such a mark as Rodgers and Hammerstein. This duo produced nine musical plays during their partnership and caused a profound change in musical comedy. They set the standards that are followed to this day in musical history. They created the modern musical that we all know and love.
Before they became Rodgers and Hammerstein, they were simply Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II,
showed first 75 words of 1320 total
showed last 75 words of 1320 total
University Press, 1994.
2) Fordin, Hugh. Getting to know him: A Biography of Oscar Hammerstein II. New York: Ungar Pub. Co., 1977.
3) Green, Stanley. Rodgers and Hammerstein Fact Book: a record of their works together and with other collaborators. New York: Lynn Farnol Group, 1980
4) Hyland, William. Richard Rodgers. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1998
5) Kislan, Richard. The Musical. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall Inc., 1980.
6) Nolan, Frederick N. The Sound of their Music: the story of Rodgers and Hammerstein. New York: Walker, 1978