George Calvert was the first Lord of Baltimore. His oldest son, Cecil Calvert, was the second Lord Baltimore. George Calvert, after a visit to Virginia, petitioned King Charles I of England to grant him permission to colonize the land north of the Potomac. He died in 1632, at age 52, just 66 days before the colony's official charter was issued, but his son Cecil Calvert carried out his father's dream.
Cecil Calvert had the difficult task
showed first 75 words of 1305 total
showed last 75 words of 1305 total
the Calvert shield.
The Chesapeake Bay Retriever was declared the official
State dog in 1964.
1. Maryland, The Seventh State, A History, Third Edition, Marck, John T.,Maryland, Creative Impressions Ltd., 1996.
2. The Maryland Colony, Frandin, Dennis Brindell, Canada, Childrens Press Inc.,1990.
3. America the Beautiful, Maryland, Kent, Deborah, Chicago, Childrens Press Inc., 1990.
4. Maryland, So Many Things to do. So Close Together., Maryland Office of tourism Development, 1998
5. Nabit, Charles J., Hodes, Michael C., Mid-Atlantic Country, 1996