The Fourteen Characteristics of Romanticism
1. Medievalism - looking on the past to a simpler lifestyle (the good ole days).
''Written in the Close of Spring'' by Charlotte Smith
2. Orientalism - (exotic locales) places that everyday people would not venture.
Mystery - emotional stimulus.
3. Primitivism - belief that man was born inherently good. (Noble Savage - writing
by people of primitive cultures - Africa, Native American) Society makes them bad.
4. Progress - Romantics were not against
showed first 75 words of 274 total
showed last 75 words of 274 total
of Art - authors believed their writings were cleansing their
''Lines Composed a Few Miles away from Tintern Abbey'' by William
13. Protest and Dissent - Original Protesters ills of society and the church. Not all
authors of this era believed in this.
''Lines Written in Early Spring'' by William Wordsworth
14. A love of the wild and picturesque - Nature is almost a character in novels.
Nature inspires creativity.
''Pastoral Poesy'' by John Clare