A Biblical Look at Deacons
Many Baptists believe that there are two officers in a church, one being the pastor (elder or bishop) and the other of a deacon. The reason for this article is that I can find no biblical grounds in the New Testament for the establishment of an "office" of a deacon. There is no example or reference to an official diaconate in a church that has authority or office over the
showed first 75 words of 6189 total
showed last 75 words of 6189 total
C. Ryrie, Moody Press, Chicago, 1978, p1548.
5. Ibid, p1711.
6. Ibid, p1617.
7. The Acts of the Apostles, A.C. Gaebelein, Publication Office "Our Hope", New York City, 1912, p121.
8. The New Unger's Bible Dictionary. Merrill F. Unger, Moody Press, Chicago, 1988, p534.
9. Systemic Theology, A. H. Strong, Fleming H. Revell Company, Old Tappan, New Jersey, 1907, p914.
10. Theology for Today, Elmer Towns, Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary, 1994, p492.
11. Systematic Theology, Vol. IV, Lewis Sperry Chafer, Dallas Seminary Press, Dallas, Texas, 1948, p152